Friday, March 19, 2010

Leadership hours



During spring break I went back home for the week. The first day I was home I realied that I needed to collect 10 leadership hours for my 255 class. I looked around finding something that I thought was going to improve my leadership skills. Finally I ran into my mothers friend and her husband who ran a besketball team at the local parish. He asked me if I wanted to help him lead practices and be the assistant coach while I was home. I gladly accepted. The age group of the team was from the ages of 15-17.


My time spent with the team was very smooth because he introduced me as a coach and they immidately accepted me on the staff. The first 3 days I went, the coach made me lead warm-ups and help any players on the side with individual skills such as layups and free throws. By the 4th day I had already completed my 10 hours, but I still showed up to practices and games for the rest of the week.


Towards the end of the week when I was going to head back to school, the team was kind of upset because I was leaving, but I told them I would be back to watch the games when I get home in May. The coach told me I can come back and coach with him anytime. It felt good to know I had a coaching position when I am home for the summer.


The time spent coaching a team really improved my leadership skills a little more since coming to Cortland for school. Now when I return, I will have a coaching position and help more young athletes become better and having the kids someone to talk to if they do not want to ask the coach. I have learned alot about coaching basketball and these kids and after completing these hours, I feel preety good about starting my teaching career.


No comments:

Post a Comment